7 April is World Health Day. It's celebrated annually and each year draws attention to a specific health topic of concern to people all over the world.
In 2022, World Health Day has a theme of “our planet, our health,” with a call to focus more on health and well-being and to create “well-being societies.”
This year’s theme is inspired by the world we live in and the impact of environmental factors on health outcomes.
Every day we make decisions that impact our personal health and the health of the planet. Every day, we decide what our impact is going to be. None of these decisions is too small - we've all got to start somewhere!
Make this World Health Day the day you take charge. Decide what changes you can make and put these into place.
- Walk or pedal to work at least one day a week. Choose public transport.
- Change to a renewable energy provider; don’t heat your rooms over 21.5C; turn off lights when not in the room.
- Buy your fresh groceries from local producers and avoid highly processed foods and beverages.
- Tobacco is a killer and a polluter. Stop smoking.
- Buy less plastic; use recyclable grocery bags, choose sustainable clothing and reusable alternatives to single use products.
- Join the "slow fashion" movement. Choose fabrics and cuts that are designed to last longer. Choose labels that use sustainable, natural fabrics.
- Take care of your health naturally. Use supplements, vitamins, organic teas, magnesium and natural skin care.
- Include your children - choose healthy family meals together, engage in fun activities like bike riding, trampolining, basketball, yoga...you get the idea!
Have an intention to continue after World Health Day. Your body and your planet will appreciate it!