Yarla Jukurrpa (Bush Potato Dreaming) – Cockatoo Creek
This Yarla Jukurrpa belongs to men of the Japaljarri/Jungarrayi subsections and to Napaljarri/Nungarrayi women. It comes from an area to the east of Yuendumu called Cockatoo Creek. ‘Yarla’ (bush potato [Ipomea costata]) are fibrous tubers that grow beneath a low spreading plant, found by looking for cracks in the ground. This edible tuber grows from ‘yartura’ (roots) which seek out moisture to spout new plants. Yarla are good to eat, when cooked they are really soft and tasty. The Jukurrpa tells of ‘yarla’ and ‘wapirti’ (bush carrot [Vigna lanceolata]) ancestors fighting a big battle in this area. The specific site associated with this painting is a ‘mulju’ (water soakage) called Ngarparapunyu. In contemporary Warlpiri paintings traditional iconography is used to represent the Jukurrpa, associated sites and other elements. The curved lines of the ‘kuruwarri’ (ceremonial designs) represent the ‘ngamarna’ (vine-like tendrils) from which grow ‘jinjirla’ (flowers). ‘Karlangu’ (digging sticks) are usually represented as straight lines. ‘Karlangu’are used by women to dig for bush tucker like Yarla and Wapirti which are found underground.
Artist Letoya Nakamarra Curtis
- Organically grown wild bamboo
- Loose fit
- Chest pocket
- Bamboo wood-look buttons
65% Bamboo Fiber 35% Cotton
Care and Use Instructions: cold machine wash with like colours. Do not bleach, soak or rub
Do not tumble dry. Warm iron, Do not dry clean
This Bamboo shirt will be a great addition to any wardrobe. A loose fitting style will ensure it is extremely breathable and comfortable on the skin. This shirt is finished with a left hand side pocket.
Composition: 65% bamboo 35% cotton
Here are some of the reasons we love Bamboo Clothing:
- Naturally Organic- bamboo is grown without pesticides or fertilizers. Luxuriously soft - bamboo feels like silky cashmere.
- Comfortable and Anti-Static– Fabric made from bamboo is incredibly soft and luxurious, and has an anti-static nature, so it sits well against your skin without clinging.
- Absorbent- bamboo absorbs up to 60% more water than cotton. This makes it an excellent choice for drawing moisture off the body.
- Antibacterial– Bamboo is naturally and continuously antibacterial, staying fresh and odour free for longer.
- Breathable- the porous nature of the fibre makes it breathable and extremely comfortable against the skin.
- Thermo-regulating- keeps the wearer warm in cool weather, and cool in warm weather.
- Hypoallergenic- bamboo's organic and natural properties make it non-irritating so perfect for extra sensitive skin
- UV Protective– it cuts out 98% of harmful UV rays.